DriveThruRPG.com

Monday, May 25, 2009

Sin City Dispatch #19: Welcome to the Saturday Night Smackdown!

Hey everyone and welcome to another issue of the Dispatch!

This issue we are going to take a look at the latest Call To Arms Tour for Warmachine and Hordes. We just started running this locally and man are we having a blast! In fact, this whole issue is going to be about the League so sit down and strap in because we are about to hit the ground running!

Liberation of Umbrey Begins!
Another Look at Our Local Call to Arms League

We officially started our League off with a bang this past Saturday night. Something that Matt started to do to accommodate those of us with odd schedules, the after hours gaming at BattleZone has quickly become a tradition for our gaming group. Starting about 9pm on Saturday, Matt opens up the store until 3am so that we can all come down and get some games going, talk some smack, and generally just hang out with our friends.

This Tour of the League is proving to be no different as we continue to bring new players in the game and the "old guard" continue to build their respective forces into actual armies.

Here you can see Cody and Pat, veterans from the first tour, throwing down one of their first 750 point games. Since they both started getting into the game in the first tour, they have not had a chance to get in a serious game of Warmachine or Hordes before now and it really was an eye opening experience. The game has suddenly changed from some random groups of warriors fighting to two armies clashing on the field of battle. All of us are finally getting a taste of the what the game is supposed to be like and I think that we are all hungry for more.

Meanwhile, Ace and Kat were throwing down a battle box game on the other side of the store. One of the other Cryx players in the store, Ace is now looking at switching gears to give the Privateers a try while Kat is just getting into the game with the Legion of Everblight, making Legion our most popular faction in the store right now.

While this was going on, Matt and I were squaring off as well in one of the most intense games that either of us have played. We both loved the scenario last week but this game was an adrenaline rush like no other. As I mentioned in the last issue, we are doing timed games for this tour and though none of the games ran their full duration, the timing on the turns was enough to push the game to the next level. I can see how some people might not like it but for us it was like a drug and I think that we are all looking forward to more games like this.

After a Del Taco run, we all got back into the action again with Kat and Cody facing off on the far table while Matt and Ace squared off on the other one. I don't know how these games went as my next game was the last one to finish for the night but hopefully everyone had a good time.

Pat and I had hopped over to the table that Kat and Ace had been using and I proceeded to get my butt handed to me. After burning out early in the first tour, Pat was not sure how excited he would be to play in this one. When it came down to the wire, he did not hesitate at all and dove right in! Between his solid list and tactics and my silly mistakes and some crappy die rolls... well, as I said earlier, I got my butt handed to me, on a platter even. Still, it was good to get a game in with Pat after his long hiatus from the game, and it was nice to get my 750 point list on the table. Now I have a better idea which parts are going to work and which parts should be melted down for scrap.

The Parting Shot...

I know that some people were expecting more players to show up on Saturday but I am happy with the turn out. There are some more out there that I think will start to trickle in as things really start moving along so I am expecting it to be another really good tour! Now I just have to figure out how we will do the battle royale at the end... Good thing I have a couple of months to figure that one out. Until next time, may all of your dice come up Dragons!

No comments: