DriveThruRPG.com

Friday, July 19, 2013

Workbench: Retouching The Wreckage

Back in 2004, Games Workshop released the Battle For Macragge boxed set for 4th edition.  I never picked up this set but I did get my hands on the crashed lander terrain piece that came with it.  I had originally done a really quick paint job on it so I could use it for a game of Starship Troopers but there was a serious emphasis on the "quick".  I brought it to the table a couple of times but its been years since I dug it out so its just been sitting around in all its bland glory.

 
Its not horrible looking, its just very... blah.  Of late though, I have started to experiment a little with weathering especially with picking out the sharp edges of things to create a worn look and this seemed like a good piece to give it a try with.  It also gave me a chance to work on my highlighting on a larger scale so I broke out the paints and gave it a shot.



Overall I'm very happy with the results.  By repainting the hull green it really makes the piece pop more and also gives a good contrast to the edging that I did.


I also hit the edges of the broken glass with some gray to make the breaks stand out a little more and added some color to a couple of the hoses coming out of the back of the wreckage.  Definitely a good start but I want to touch up the rest of the wreckage as visually its a really nice piece of terrain.  Until next time...

No comments: