DriveThruRPG.com

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Workbench: VSF Is Dead! Long Live VSF!

After the disaster of attempting to use Sharpe Practice for VSF/Colonial gaming the beginning of last year, I was largely turned off of miniature gaming for the rest of 2013.  I had a few ideas that I kicked around for either alternate rules to try or other rules to try to hack to fit my purpose but nothing really got me inspired enough to do more with it.

Since our move I've gotten back into Warmachine and even tried out some WWII historical miniatures but I still really enjoy the whole VSF setting and I'd love to do more with it.  As it stands I still have a full company of Colonial Brits plus some extra support in the way of my airship and some special power armor troops I'd started bashing together so I don't see this as a project that I'm going to drop just yet.  Luckily I happened to stumble across In Her Majesty's Name by Ospery Wargames and it looks like Sir Reginald Smythe might make it back to the table again in the future.

I haven't had a chance to play these rules yet but I've given it a quick read through and they look really promising.  A huge plus for it is the ability to quickly stat up your own miniatures in addition to playing one of the pregenerated companies included in the book.  This is also a growing ruleset as there are two more official expansions that have been released by Ospery and rules for adding in a Gothic twist are available on their website.  All in all, this looks too be a lot of fun to try out, not to mention pulling together some interesting companies of my own.  Definitely time to start digging through the miniature pile to see what I can come up with.  Until next time...

No comments: