DriveThruRPG.com

Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Workbench: From Watchtower to... Well, Assorted Bits

As I started going through all of the assorted stuff I've accumulated, I found something with a lot of potential.  Mattel used to make various DC action figures including the Watchtower.  I'd actually picked this up years ago to make a crashed spaceship but never got very far with it.  Looking at it now, I can see some potential for various bits of Antares scenery instead of just one large piece.  After all, a crashed ship would be cool and all but it would get kind of redundant.  "Sarge, we are we fighting next to another crashed ship?"  "Don't ask questions Private!  Just make sure you use the transmat instead of a shuttle and you'll be fine!"

The Watchtower in all its glory... minus a few bits... with really bad lighting.
I decided to break it down into pieces to see what I can do with them.  To be honest I was surprised with how easily I was able to disassemble it into some very usable bits.  The interior has a transparent orange tube which made me think of the kinetic wall terrain pieces I'd seen on the Warlord site. 

Here is one of the orange tube thingees
Between those and the coloration of the rest of the pieces I think that this can actually be fielded just about fielded as is, at least for the time being.

Some kind of a shelter on the left and I'm thinking maybe a quantum gravity generator on the right.
Of course I also need to figure out a way to store it.  Currently I have three totes full of terrain (one for vegetation, one for hard structures, and one for Frostgrave specific pieces) so I'm thinking that I'll scrounge up another for Gates of Antares pieces and try to stop there.  There's only so much room in the house after all.

And the largest piece which I'm thinking it could be a mining rig of some kind.
In addition to the Watchtower, I also found some random sci-fi reptilian minis and I'm going to base them up as another small mercenary contingent.  Think this takes me up to four different sets of minis that I'm looking at to field as random mercs and alien troops, not to mention assorted critters that I can fit in for various alien fauna.  At least they're going to get used for something, right?

I was also able to get some of my new minis assembled, specifically the Concord and Algoryn targeters, plus the Nuhu Mandarin and her nano drone.  All of these went to together quite easily and I was really impressed with how clean the minis are right out of the blister, how easily they went together, and the level of detail as well.  These were the first metal minis I'd worked with for Antares and I'm very happy with them.  I love how crisp the mandarin looks especially and I can't wait to get some paint on her.

No comments: