DriveThruRPG.com

Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Antares: Stirke On K'Ara Nine... The Forces of the Concord Combined Command

Way back at the beginning of the month I finished painting all the minis for Strike on K'Ara Nine, one of the Beyond the Gates of Antares starter sets produced by Warlord games!  They took a bit longer to paint than I'd originally intended (and even longer to actually post pictures of) but life happens and I have to say that I'm happy with the results.  That said, let's take a look at the first of the two factions included in the starter, the Concord.

The Concord troops included in Strike on K'Ara Nine, including two converted batter drones

This force weighs in at 408 points but by adding in another strike squad and dropping some of the options you would have a playable 500 point army.  This gives you a good base and its very easy to expand which I've already done.

Beyond the two strike squads from K'Ara Nine, I have painted up another three strike squads, split the two light support drones into two separate units, added a support team with an X-launcher, and added in a shard of targeter probes.  This takes my list up to 958 points and 8 order dice.  This leaves a little room to add in some of the army options to kick it the rest of the way up to a 1000 point list.

My full Concord force... minus the targeters who I forgot to include.

From a gameplay point of view, this should be a fairly balanced army on the table.  While most of the force is made up of strike troopers, they are a flexible option on the table as they are fairly well rounded troops.  With good armor, range, and accuracy, the only place where the strike troopers are lacking is in assaults but that is pretty common for the Concord as a whole.  They tend to put more of an emphasis on maneuvering to bring their weapons to bear at range than running up and punching you in the face.  Beyond the tactical units, the support choices give the list some extra oomph as well; the C3D1s are both equipped with batter drones to give the troops some mobile cover in addition to their own firepower while the X launcher can had back and link through the numerous spotters to drop shots on the enemy at range.  I'm sure that I'll want to expand beyond this (I'm really itching to grab a T7 transport just because I love the way it looks) but this is a great place to start from.

Overall, I have to admit that while the aesthetic of the Concord didn't do much for me at first but they have really grown on me.  They also have a lot of options available to them in plastic which makes them one of the more affordable and conversion friendly factions.

No comments: