DriveThruRPG.com

Monday, September 9, 2019

Workbench: Making A Better "Tabletop"

As I've mentioned, I am currently traveling for work which makes gaming a challenge to say the least.  Thankfully it an extended stay so I have the same hotel room which does make things easier, but there is still the overall space issue.  A two room suite is not even close to the amount of space in a typical home or apartment.

To try to work around this, I had brought down four 2' x 2' boards that I had attached some cloth to so I could use them as terrain board as is.  Unfortunately the one and only table in the hotel room is pretty thin so putting the boards on it can be a little nerve wracking.  During the game I played last week with Concord vs Algoryn, there were a couple of times that I nearly flipped one of the sections when I leaned on it.

Functional but mildly stress inducing
To get around this, I went out and picked up an 8' x 4' inch thick insulation board.  My original plan was to chop off a 2' section from the end so I could have a 6' x 4' topper.  After some thought, I decided to cut it down to a 4' x 4' topper instead due to the size of the room.

This still left the issue of the overall size.  4' x 4' is a good size for gaming but its still tricky to store it away in a hotel room.  The solution for this was to split it into two 4' x 2' tables and add a "hinge".

The "new and improved" table top
In this case the "hinge" is made with duct tape.  I laid out the two boards next to each other and ran a line of tape along the seam.  Then I folded the "table" in half and ran another piece of tape along the two edges along the seam.  This lets me fold the topper in half and the extra tape should make it a little sturdier.

It's so shiny...
Of course I'll have to see how it works in application but I thinking it should work out nicely.  And as an added plus, I also have all of the extra foamboard to start making some vertical terrain.  That's right, it's time to get some hills!  Huzzah!  I really like how all of my vegetation has been turning out but I'm really excited to add the third dimension to the board.  More on that soon.  Until next time...

No comments: