DriveThruRPG.com

Monday, February 3, 2020

I've Been Pulled Into... The Funkoverse!

I had only planned on buying one of them, honest.  I found the DC 4-Pack for a good price on Amazon and picked it up... then I found the DC 2-Pack on sale as well.  It only makes sense and they go together after all... then I found the Harry Potter 4-Pack on sale for less than the sale price of most of the 2-Packs...  But this is it... I'm serious this time... Just let me check Amazon again...

For those of you who might have missed it (though I don't know how), the Funkoverse is a light strategy combat game that is being published by Funko.  These games all come with a slightly smaller version of their Pops and are themed according to their pack.  There is DC and Harry Potter, plus you can add on Rick and Morty or even the Golden Girls.

I'll let you go back and re-read that last sentence.

I had only played this game a few of times solo but I really liked it and wanted to get it to the table.  The gameplay is very straightforward but I think that there is enough variation with the characters and missions that are included that this one will stay interesting.

Only in the Funkoverse will you find Voldemort bopping Joker in the nose with his wand.
And it turns out I was right!

I want over my friends new house and he told me to bring the Funko.  I've mentioned it to him and he was gracious enough to be a guinea pig and try it out.  I ran down the rules basics, we grabbed our Funkos and got down to business.  On my side of the table we had Batman, Catwoman, and Voldemort working together against the forces of chaos and anarchy, Jokey, Harley, and Hermione.

Mourning the death of Batman... until he jumped up and started smacking people around!
The first game was just the basic game to run through the basic mechanics.  Quick and dirty, but it touches on the high points and sets you up to jump into one of the scenarios.  Once that was done, we jumped into Control, one of the four scenarios included so far with the game which is where I think this game really shines.  While some games lead to people turtling, this one really pushes you to keep moving forward.  Sure, you don't have to but if you don't your opponent is probably going to run away with the game

The victory nap!  Yes, I won the game with my entire team watching the clouds drift by.
This is a game that I'm glad that I picked up.  I was really on the fence but there is more to it than I first thought there would be.  Would I pay the full retail price for it?  Ummm… probably not, but I tend to be an aggressive bargain hunter when it comes to gaming.

That said, I do plan on buying the rest of the packs for the first wave.  Not because I'm trying to be a completionist but because they sound like they would be fun to play.  As for future expansions, we'll just have to wait and see what they are, but it won't be a long wait...  the next wave is slated to start rolling out within the next couple of months if I'm recalling correctly.  We'll just have to see what the next madness is that comes to the Funkoverse!  Until next time...

No comments: