DriveThruRPG.com

Thursday, March 11, 2021

Random Updates: The Gloomy Core of Space Comrade!

This weekend I was able to get Core Space to the table for the first time!  I went over to my friend's house and we ran through the Salvage Run mission so we could see how the game played.

It's been weeks since I went over the rules or watched any playthroughs so it was a little rough to start, but once we got going it all clicked into place and we were able to dive into the action.  If you've played a miniatures game before then most of the rules just made sense, and the terrain really pulls it all together.

The highlight of the game?  Gak, Roykirk, and Butler (a new volunteer for my crew) all being taken out by Beck and Jace, while Kaori and Gaa'nek ran around like lunatics and randomly shot at people.


Meanwhile Arianna tried to get payback by taking shooting Jace and company with an incinerator.  Absolutely hilarious amounts of fail!  In fact, we were racking up some many of our own "kills" that the Purge barely felt the need to show shiny metal faces!

All and all, I feel like it was a hit and I'm looking forward to playing it again in the future!

After that, we dove back into Gloomhaven with his son as we tried to find out what our "patron" was really up to.  I switched from the scoundrel to the brute so we could have some heavy hitting action, but even so it was really close!


The end bosses were two bodyguards with a ton of hit points, but we were able to take them down right at the last minute and even find out some clues about what is really going on.

I have also been able to make more headway with my painting, finishing up Lars, Faye, and MAC.

I really like how MAC came out with his weathered paint scheme.  Lars and Faye turned out pretty good as well though I'm tempted to go back and paint their tool boxes.  Dewalt black and yellow for one, and Ryobi green for the other... just because I find it amusing.  I also like how the black edging looks on these minis so I'm going to go back and do the same on the rest of them.

This just leaves me with four more minis and then all of the Core Space I own will be painted, so of course it's time to start looking at what I'm going to buy next.  I've been really torn on this as the late pledge is still open for Core Space: First Born and it's quite the deal.  On the other hand, it doesn't deliver until later this year and it sounds like it shifts the focus more towards solo play.  Rather than wait, I could just use those funds to get more of the existing expansions.

It's tough to pass up the late pledge but I'm thinking that my best bet is going to be to pick up the Shootout at Zed's expansion.  This set introduces gangers to the mix (in the form of Zed and his minions) and it comes with a couple more civilians as well.  Maybe it's silly but it's the extra civilians that are what seal the deal for me here.  I love that the base game comes with three but I really like the idea of even more random people wandering around the board.  You can also use Zed and his crew literally as another crew, so it really seems like this set gives the most bang for the buck as far as versatility.

And last but not least, I picked up a new game on Kindle.  Zona Alfa, published by Osprey Games.


I remember when this one first came out and I'll admit that I was kind of "meh" about it, but having read some battle reports and play throughs I decided I want to give it a try.  I don't have many minis that fit the Soviet post-apocalyptic flavor but I figure that is something that I can work on remedying.  My main interest with this one is solo play so it'll give me some time to hunt around for the right minis, not to mention build some terrain for it.  I love the Battlesystems stuff and they do have modern post-apoc terrain, but I've got a bunch of black foamcore lying around so I might as well make some use of it.  Until next time...

No comments: