DriveThruRPG.com

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Family Slumber Party For The Win!!!

A couple of months ago I was getting ready for work when my wife and daughter started busting out the popcorn and M&Ms.  Normally their not quite so happy to see me leave so I asked what was going on.  "We're having a slumber party," was the reply.  "We're going to watch movies, stay up late, and eat popcorn."

I thought this was an awesome idea and was really glad that my wife and daughter were going to have so much fun but part of me really wished that I could join in too.  Several vacation requests later, I finally was able to get the planets in alignment to get a day off and yesterday we had our family slumber party!

We started off the night with a game of Forbidden Island by Gamewright.


In this cooperative game, the players are all part of a team sent to the Forbidden Island to recover four artifacts.  This would be a easy enough task if only the island wasn't sinking!  We decided to make things a little harder for ourselves and started the game with the water at a higher level than normal which definitely made the game that much more intense but we still managed to pull out the win!

Next we dug into Small World Underground by Days of Wonder.


As this was only our second time playing (and my wife's first...), the game started a little slow but it definitely picked up as we went along.  Overall still loving this game though I can see how getting a handle on all the special powers could be a little tricky for new players.  And who dominated the depths of the Small World in the end?  Yet again the Munchkin managed to pull out the win... by one point!  Argh!!!  We definitely need a rematch!

After that, my wife decided to head to bed and the Munchkin and I crashed on the living room floor to watch Dinotopia on Netflix.


This miniseries from 2002 by Hallmark Entertainment (one of the companies behind Farscape...) tells the story of two boys who wind up stranded on an uncharted island inhabited by a lost civilization of humans and dinosaurs.  Fun series though unfortunately I fell asleep about halfway through the second episode.  Mental note... when you're going to stay up late, make sure you get more than four hours sleep the night before.  Still its an interesting setting and story so I'd recommend checking it out if you have a chance, especially if you have kids who love dinosaurs.

Overall, it was a great night with the family and I can't wait to do it again!

No comments: