DriveThruRPG.com

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Trading One Homebrew For Another?

Next month one of the local gaming groups is having another game of Colonial Sharp Practice, this time involving that mysterious golden box that you should never look into.  You know the one...

The Ark with its Turkistan Tourism Board Welcoming Committee

While this does some like its going to be a lot of fun part of it does leave me a little uncertain.  Right now I'm still not sold on the idea of using the Sharp Practice rules for a Colonial setting.  I suppose it kind of worked for our last game in a very ham-fisted sort of way but I can't help but wonder if the next game is going to push it beyond the point of being manageable.  There is talk of Russian steam walkers and I will be adding another armored tractor to the mix plus who knows what else might show up at this point.  Hopefully we can muddle through but just in case I've started looking at some other systems out there, the first of which is G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T. (short for Glorious Adventures in Science Loosely Involving Generally Historical Times).

Steam tractors, dinosaurs, and ostrich riders?  Sounds like an interesting combination to me!
After looking at the quick start rules on their website (which you can find here...) it seems like it covers all the bases that we are looking for but it's all based around a d20.  This just seems a little odd, especially since a lot of the rolls look like they could break down to a d10 without loosing too much detail so I'm going to do a small solo game to see how that pans out.  Admittedly this is effectively just trading one homebrew for another but I'm hoping that this minor switch with G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T. works a little better than the complete overhaul we are attempting with Sharps.  Only time will tell but fingers crossed, right?  Until next time...

No comments: