DriveThruRPG.com

Monday, June 18, 2018

Random Updates: The Gates Are So Shiny...

Well, I did it again.  In addition to picking up Terminator, Wrath of Kings, and Mars Attacks (all pretty much defunct games at this point... see the previous post for info on the end of the Mars Attacks license), I picked up one of the starters for Beyond the Gates of Antares.  What makes this one different is that its still actually being not just supported, but actively expanded on!  What a crazy concept!

So I suppose the question is why hop into another game system when I haven't even been able to get the others to the table.  Since we are more or less moved into our new home, I'm planning on getting together a 4' x 4' gaming space so I will be able to break out some of these games.  In fact, that space is even too large for some of these games as both Terminator and Mars Attacks tend to use a much smaller space.

Mechanically, the game is derived from Bolt Action and as I enjoy that game, it should be pretty easy to pick up Antares.  Financially, Warlord had been running a great sale a couple of weeks ago and I wound up saving roughly a third from the total price.  In addition, Warlord has packed the starters to the gills with product.  Just the miniatures themselves would cost more than the price of the starter and both factions included give you enough to form a good core to expand from in the future.  On top of this there is a set of introductory rules that use a set of scenarios to walk you through the basics of the game, a slimmed down version of the full rules, all the order dice you need for the units in the set plus the regular dice to play the game, a set of plastic templates, and pin markers (like the ones from Bolt Action).

This should be here within a couple of weeks and I'm looking forward to getting a closer look at the various miniatures.  In addition to the Kar'A Nine starter and more Algoryn troops, I also picked up some Ghar battle and assault armor suits.  These minis had caught my eye when the game was first released so I'm especially interested to see what they look like in the "flesh".  Once they arrive and I get some assembled I'll get some of them pictures of them posted.

No comments: