DriveThruRPG.com

Monday, June 11, 2018

Random Updates: The Martian Invasion Ends

A couple of months ago I grabbed the game Mars Attacks on a whim.  While I'd decided to pass on it when it was originally Kickstarted, it's one of the few games that in hindsight I wish I'd backed.  It just sounded fun and goofy, ya know especially once I'd read some reviews.

The only problem I could see was Mantic had really stopped supporting the game. It wasn’t officially dead, but it seemed like the end was nigh so I decided to grab some more Martians while I could.  US soldiers would be easy enough to proxy but the Martians are definitely unique looking. I grabbed a Martian army box, a science division set, and a couple of mutant spiders so I feel like I've got the invaders covered… which is good since Mantic has announced that it officially won’t support the game as of the 30th.
I must say that this is too bad as the game seems like it will be fun to play but it’s really the ultimate fate of all licensed games (except for Star Fleet Battles of course… that one will never end). There is only so much that they can really do with the universe before you've explored all of the options available to you.  Sure, they could have pushed forward in the comic book story line to when Mars was occupying Earth even then there is only so much you can do.  Add to that the cost of maintaining the license and the need to get approval for any and all things that are released with the game and it can get very cumbersome.
It's also pretty fitting as my trend continues; Starship Troopers, Terminator: Genisys, Mars Attacks. I’ve got a knack for liking licensed games that fade away. Ah well, at least I was able to get a solid core so I can still play the game. We have relatives in town this week but once they are gone I’m going to bust it out and give it a go.

No comments: