DriveThruRPG.com

Monday, June 25, 2018

Workbench: Looking at the Algoryn, Concord, and Ghar for Beyond the Gates of Antares

I've been buy over the weekend, trimming and filing and gluing together some of the miniatures that I bought for Beyond the Gates of Antares.  Up first, here is the Algoryn armored infantry...

two Algoryn AI squads with their spotter drones

 Then the Concord strike teams...
two Concord strike teams with their spotter drones

...and a light support drone...

drone with strike trooper for scale

And finally a Ghar battle and assault suit.

assault on the left, battle on the right, and a strike trooper in the center for scale

Overall, I'm really pleased with these minis.  The molding is very clean and the plastics have been easy to work with.  The only thing that I've found a little tricky is attaching the arms to the torsos because the weapons have one hand cast to them.  This means that you have to align the arms and then get the wrist and forearm to meet while keeping the arms on the shoulders.  Definitely not a huge deal but with my fat fingers and arthritic thumbs it was a bit challenging.

In fact there were only two things that I wasn't a big fan of.  The first is the leader for both the Algoryn and Concord have the left hand pointing thing going on with doesn't quite look right. (you can see this in the Algoryn pic; back row, second from the left).  Both of them have what's called a SlingNet launcher on their forearms but on the Concord it is such a slight detail that I decided to use regular arms and I'll just paint him a little different to mark him as the leader.  The Algoryn was a little trickier but I was able to cut the launcher off of one of the spare leader arms and glued it to a regular arm to indicate my second unit leader (front row, fourth mini from the left... and I just realized I put it on the wrong arm.  Oopsy!).

The other thing is one of the leg poses for the Concord.

The first mini is the one I'm talking about

It's dynamic but it looks really awkward.  The toes on the left foot are also bent which makes it look like they should be on the ground but the only way to do that would be position him in mid step.  Not a huge thing but it just looks a little odd to me.

Overall I'm really happy with the minis and I'm looking forward to assembling the rest of them.  Then its on to the painting!

No comments: