DriveThruRPG.com

Monday, February 1, 2021

Random Update: Now That's A Lotta Paint!

For years now, I've been using P3 Paints.  I've just always enjoyed using them more than any others that I've tried, even Citadel.  Except the shades of course.  The GW shades are amazing!  The regular paints?  I don't know, I've tried using several colors but they just don't work as well for me as the P3 paints.  The problem with this is that getting P3 paints usually ain't that easy.  Heck, for a while I thought Privateer Press had discontinued the line but thankfully that isn't the case.

Since then I heard a rumor that the reason they seem to disappear for bit is because of how they produce their paints.  My understanding is they will produce a batch of colors and then wait until a majority of the colors are running out before ordering another batch.  Unfortunately this means the common colors like white, black, and red sell out fast, but the less popular colors will sit for a while and create these dry spells where it seems like they have discontinued the paints.  I don't know how true this is but it does fit with what I've seen on the shelves so I'm inclined to think there is a grain of truth to this.

This weekend I happened to hop onto Miniature Market to look what they might have to P3 in stock.  Lo and behold, it looked like they had most of the P3 line in stock so I went a little crazy and placed an order.  Nine of them are replacements for old ones that I have that are getting low or the lids have broken.  The other 27 of them?  All brand new ones in a bunch of brighter colors and shades than I normally use.

To be honest, this might not seem like a lot to some out there, but this actually the most paints that I've bought at one time in over thirty years of dabbling with miniatures (and now I feel old...).  I'm really excited to dig into these once they arrive and see what I can do with them.

As for the hobby streak, it keeps on going!  There was a minor hiccup of one night since my daughter needed to record a drama project, but other than that I have been painting everyday and it's been great!  I feel like I've been slowly pushing myself further as well, trying to get a little more detail or depth to my colors each time.  This does mean that I've completed fewer models than last week since I'm putting in more time with them but I'm okay with it.  The more I think about it and move forward with the streak, the more I have been enjoying on each figure.  I was able to finish all of the civilians for Core Space though, and pictures of them will be coming up soon.  Until next time...

No comments: