DriveThruRPG.com

Thursday, March 15, 2012

To Boldy Go Where No MMO Has Gone Before...

While everyone else out there is clamoring for Tekken vs. Capcom, or Mass Effect 3, or Knights of the Old Republic, I've just gotta be different.  Oh I feel for a computer bug again but not one of the new shinnies.  Nope, I'm not nothing if not a nonconformist.  Heck, I don't even know if that statement makes any sense but I do know that I'm enjoying playing...


This game is seems to be set some time after at least Next Generation and maybe even Voyager but I'm not exactly sure.  While I do enjoy the whole Star Trek franchise every now and then I'm definitely not one of the rabid fans who can give you the exact star dates for everything that happened in the show..  Not that there's anything wrong with that... well, I don't know I'd go that far but I digress...


Star Trek Online puts you in command of your own starship in the Federation as it balances on the brink of war with the Klingons, Romulans, and even the Gorn.  The game play seems pretty standard based on my own limited experience with MMORPGs but one of the things that this game includes that I'm particularly enjoying is starship combat.  Never mind running around in the woods hunting for orcs, now you're soaring through space in all of its three dimensions as you try to out maneuver and destroy your opponents!  Just throwing in that third dimension adds in a whole new... well, would you believe dimension?


From what I've seen so far this game is lots of fun and though I could see it getting somewhat repetitive in the long run you can't beat the price; it's free.  There is an optional monthly subscription that runs $15 a month but if you are just looking for something that lets you cruise around the universe, explore new worlds, and blow stuff up too boot the free subscription should work out for you.

That's about it for this week but be sure to come back next week for a long overdue Song of Blades and Heroes battle report!  Can the adventurers overcome the goblin menace?  Will I be able to finish painting the last of the heroes before I bust out the camera?  You'll just have to come back to see!  Until next time...

No comments: