DriveThruRPG.com

Friday, February 22, 2013

Workbench: Song of Queen and Country... and Floats?

While the blog might have been quiet for the past week I've been able to squeeze in some work on a rough draft of rules for Colonials based around the Song of Blades system.  As I've been largely working with the rules as presented in '61-'65 American Civil War this has been pretty straightforward though there have been some modifications that I've needed to figure out as well (more formations, different weapons, etc...).  I'm pretty happy with how they are shaping up on paper but the real question is just how do they work on the tabletop. Last night I finally had enough worked out that I decided to give them a shot with a solo game and I must say it was... different?

To explain more, my background when it comes to unit based miniature wargames has largely been influenced by games like Warhammer 40,000, Starship Troopers, and Battlefield Evolution, all of which are more modern interpretations of the art of war.  As a result I'm used to dealing with the idea of squads but not the idea of formations.  Needing to have troops moving in this formation or that and all the limitations that it imposes makes for a style of play that I've never had to deal with.  As a result, the rules seemed to work mechanically but the table itself might have been a problem as I spent half the actions in the game just changing formations to try to maneuver.  I'd even taken some pictures as the game played out but as it was almost more like watch a marching band on parade than a battle so I decided to hold off on posting them for now.  Ah well, live and learn right?

I haven't given up though!  I want to try them again with a less spacially challenged board to see how they work as they do seem to work at their core, then its off to see what Sky Captain thinks since he has more experience with the whole formation movement thing.  Until next time...

No comments: