DriveThruRPG.com

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Now I've Lost My Steam And My Thunder... How Very Steampunk!

I must say it's amazing how quickly you can go from a high level of interest to absolute indifference on something.  Not a week ago I was really excited about a VSF game that is scheduled for this weekend.  I trying to rattle the cages and get people to respond if they were coming to the game, I was posting information about unit composition and some special rules that were going to be used, I was even throwing together my own flyer just for the game (the HMS Gorgon from the previous post...).

Then there was yesterday.  Just wow.

To give a little perspective on this situation, this particular game is the one using Sharp Practice, a Napoleonic set of rules, for Space 1889, a Victorian science fiction setting.  There have been lots of issues in translating the rules, especially since there has been no play testing before the big club games which are also the only time this game is played.  Lets say that again.  No play testing.  At all.

Now the last game was not too bad overall.  In fact there was only one time when I was really getting annoyed at the overall situation which was a massive improvement over the first game this year in which I moved my troops six inches in four hours so I was really excited about this next game.

Then yesterday the person running the game sent out roughly a dozen emails about the game that happens in two days, including some rules changes that mean that a couple of the miniatures that I have in my meager army are now useless.  On top of this, he is trying to get everyone in the club to show up for the game that is using untested rules, bumping our headcount from a definite four to a possible eight, some of whom have never even played in the past two games.  On top of that, he included some experimental rules for using massive airships in the game... handy since he happens to have one and was just saying the other day how much he'd like to use it.  And did I mention there are untested rules for advanced weapons as well?

Needless to say my enthusiasm has promptly plummeted like a rock and I'm thinking that at this point I'm just not even going to bother going, especially because the organizer in one breath says that he wants people to try to stay as close to historically accurate units as possible to avoid giving the power gamers to much to play with and then in the next he says that you can have a unit of guys with lasers if you want.  And that was one massive run on sentence!  See what this has driven me too?!?

So the question is am I being unreasonable in thinking this is kind of ridiculous?  I'd love to know what you guys think so feel free to share your own opinions in the comments.  Thanks everyone and I look forward to hearing what you think!  Until next time...

No comments: