DriveThruRPG.com

Friday, May 24, 2013

Workbench: Conquering The Bendy Figures Of Doom!!!

I sure that any of you out there that have bought CMG or most of the larger Fantasy Flight Games.  You crack open the box and see all those beautiful plastic pieces... that are more bent then a professional contortionist.  Most recently I ran into this problem with my new copy of Cadwallon: City of Thieves but after barely half an hour I was able to get them all back into their actual shape.

While some of them weren't too bad, there were a couple that were in serious need of fixing, as you can see here.


Of course I'd heard of using heating up some water, dropping them in and bending them back but I'd never tried it because I'd always thought of it on a large scale; grabbing a pot and heating it on the stove to do the bending.  It was a post I found on the Paizo forums that gave me the "Ah ha!" moment I needed to get this done quickly and efficiently (Thanks to Josh M. over there for the brilliant suggestion!).

Rather than use a pot on the stove top, he pointed out that you only actually need to heat up a coffee cup of water in the microwave for your typical sized figure (insert facepalm here with the question "Why didn't I think of that?!?"). He also said that the plastics that these kinds of figures are made out of have a kind of memory to them and that heating them will let them return to their "natural" state, after which you dunk them in cold water to cool the plastic and effectively reset the mini.  This last part I'd never heard of so I eagerly broke out some coffee cups to give it a try.

Thirty minutes and twenty miniatures later and things were looking amazing!


Just goes to show that sometimes you need to think of things on a smaller scale and it can work out perfectly.  Of course now that I had this done there was just the problem of keeping them looking the way that they are supposed to, but more on that later.  Until next time...

No comments: