DriveThruRPG.com

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Building The Ruins: Making Some Terrain For Frostgrave

After my game of Frostgrave I instantly thought that this might be a miniature game that my daughter would actually enjoy.  Miniatures wouldn't be a problem (thanks to all the Bones lying around) but some appropriate terrain was another story.

When we moved I had drastically cut back on my terrain, ultimately consolidating it down to two totes; one for natural features (hills, trees, and the like) and another for structures.  Unfortunately most of my structures were geared more towards my Warmachine days so it's a few individual structures rather than the dense fantasy cityscape that I have in mind for Frostgrave.  To remedy that I broke out the graph paper and started doing a little bit of planning (a truly insane concept but thought I'd give it a try...).
 
I was able to work out a rough sketch for a 2' x 2' board (on the small size but should still usable for Frostgrave) using a few different standardized footprints.  By doing this I hope to create some terrain features that can be set up pretty quickly while still giving the feel of a densely packed cityscape.  By using the common footprints I should be able to store my terrain fairly easily as well as I'm trying to make the shapes fit together for storage.  They are still a work in progress at this time but I'll be sure to post some pictures once I've made some more headway.
 
On a related note I've also found a handy way to get my board ready quickly.  Since Frostgrave is supposed to be an ancient city, I really wanted to give it a cobblestone feel.  I looked at a couple of options but happily stumbled across one that I think will work nicely and is dirt cheap as well (truly a great combination in my books...).
 
While perusing one of our local craft stores I found felt embossed with an irregular pattern much like stone for a just a couple of bucks per piece.  I snatched a couple up to test them out and lo and behold the turned out quite nice if I do say so.
 
 
In addition to keeping my costs down I also like that the board now has a little give to its surface to protect falling minis and the texture will grip the buildings a little so in theory they won't go flying across the board if the edge gets hit.
 
Now I'm off to build some buildings plus so treasure markers, spell effects, terrain... plus I should probably work on painting my warband as well.  Pictures of them coming soon.  Until next time...

No comments: