DriveThruRPG.com

Monday, April 15, 2019

Random Update: Bolt Action Game Day!

It's been more than a year but I finally had a chance to dust off my US troops for a game of Bolt Action this past weekend.  The last time I played was against a German force with a couple of tankettes and motorcycles so it made me really want to field a vehicle heavy force.  Given my models available this translated into two Sherman tanks with a Greyhound armored car supported by two platoons of largely inexperienced infantry.  Across the table was a human wave more commonly known as the Soviets.

The first of my armored units destoryed
Things seemed to start out well but my dice quickly went cold and my opponents didn't so within the first two turns all of my vehicles were flaming wrecks.  I tried to push on and actually almost managed to squeeze out a win since all I had to do was get to the top secret package in the middle of the table and run off the board and I almost made it!  One of the deciding moments was when the remnants of the squad that had the package FUBAR'd their command check and ran away from the nearest Soviet... which is just about what I wanted to do in the first place.  Unfortunately this was just far enough that I couldn't pass off the package as I was hoping to so that I could relay race it off the board but what can you do.

Quickly followed by the rest of my vehicles
Overall still a lot of fun and hopefully I can get to my LGS on a more regular basis to get more games in.  No painting this weekend but I'm hoping to finish off my Algoryn this week which means I'll actually have two armies to bring down to the store so maybe, just maybe I can get some others interested in Antares as well.  I chatted with the store owner about the game and he had positive things to say about the game but it just never caught on locally.  Still it can't hurt to see if I can drum up some interest and at the very least I've been enjoying building and painting the models.  Hopefully I can get another couple of people interested as well but we'll just have to see.

No comments: