DriveThruRPG.com

Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Workbench: A Whole New World... But We Ain't Talkin' About Aladdin Here!

I've been really happy with the tie dye fleece "table" that I picked up.  True, I haven't had a chance to actually play on the full size version but I like how it looked for the games that I threw it over the table.  I also found that it worked quite well when cut down for covering some of my terrain pieces.  They aren't going to win any awards but they will definitely suffice for putting together a table on the cheap.

Since then, I've been keeping an eye on the prices at Joann to see if they are having another sale.  The one cloth worked so well, why not get another?  Since I already have a nice green surface, I figured it was time to mix things up and I was looking at the tie dye khaki... and then inspiration struck!

Why does it have to be khaki?  They had other colors available and I've found that the variety of terrain that people have used for Antares to be really evocative.  Looking at the other colors, there was a nice royal blue, a rich looking purple, and a shockingly bright yellow.  In the end, I decided to go with the yellow just for something different.  Now this is a really bright yellow and my realistic mind was intrigued as the possibility but somewhat daunted.  For inspiration, I hit the interwebs to see if there was any artwork for this kind of a landscape to use for inspiration and couldn't believe what I found.

The Pinnacle Desert located in Nambung National Park in Australia is exactly what I was looking for, but I didn't think that a desert with such brilliantly yellow sand would actually be a real thing.  I already have some desert style terrain which is good (spiky bushes and the like, plus the terrain I'd made for Kar'A Nine).  I also have critters that I've started painting up just so I can add some fauna into the mix.  Still more work to be done, but I'm excited to open up to another world.

As for the battle reports I've been doing, there are more on the way. I've just been quite busy with work the past couple of weeks which has caused the slight slowdown.  I think things will start to smooth out some next week, and I'll be taking my Ghar home over the holiday break so I can get some more work done on them.  Heck, I might even get the full 500 point force painted which would be great.  It's always better to field painted armies in my book.  Until next time...

No comments: