DriveThruRPG.com

Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Wrath of Kings: Teknes vs Goritsi Rematch

I was debating doing some more painting the other day but instead I decided to set up my board and push around some Wrath of Kings again. This time I decided to take advantage of the extra models I'd assembled and kicked the game up to the skirmish level.  This added some more variety to both sides and let me dig into more of the synergies that some of the units have together.

The forces of Teknes prepared for battle!
The nightmares of Goritsi searching for blood!

As the game progressed, it quickly turned into two bloodbaths, one on the right flank and another one in the center.  Where the Ravenskar mercenaries had struggled with the Union workers, the Skorza supported by a shield breaker and Moonclave executioner made short work of them.


In fact six of the workers fell in one turn to three Skorzas and their alpha!  There was much feasting on bacon after that, let me tell you.


Meanwhile, the defender linesmen in the center were proving to be hard as nails with their counter attacks cutting down several Skorzas and war dancers.


In the end though, the Goritsi were able to break the morale of the Teknes force, driving them from the battlefield after stealing their intel but not without taking some serious losses themselves.

Playing the game at this level felt like there were more options available for the two sides, and it was interesting seeing how the various units interacted.  The executioners a brutal foil to the pain-fueled Union workers while the counter attacks of the linesmen were more devastating then their regular attacks.  Having a couple of warsmiths in there didn't hurt either as it made the citizens that much harder to take out.

I will admit that as I was picking up more and more for this game, I did wonder if it was just going to be a waste of money.  I've enjoyed pushing it around though so I'm glad that I took the plunge.  I don't see it catching on locally (locally 40k and Bolt Action seem to be the big contenders) but I'm glad that I have them available if I want to use them.  I'm also thinking about stating them up for Song of Blades and Heroes so I can push that system around again.  It's been far too long since that game has hit my gaming table, especially considering how well it worked solo.

That will be a project for another day, along with the various Nasier and Shael Han minis that I still have to assemble.  Plus I'll probably pick up some more units for all four Houses as well, just because.  Good reason, right?  As for the near future, my Antares armies are painted up and ready to go, I'm just trying to get some more terrain pieces put together to spice up the battlefield.  So far I've got a few basic forest pieces but I also have some buildings I'm working on too.  There won't be much in the way of details on those for now but I want to at least get some paint onto them before they hit the table.  I should be able to get those presentable next week, and then do an Antares Batrep or two the week after.  Until next time...

No comments: