DriveThruRPG.com

Monday, January 18, 2021

Workbench: Slow But Steady Progress

As I mentioned in the last post, I had a handful of minis in progress and I managed to get through these over the weekend.  Well, except for the basing but that is in the final step so I'm going to count them!

As you can see, it's a bit of a mishmash of figures but it what spoke to me so I went with it.  And no, these aren't anywhere near award winning paint schemes.  I'm too out of practice to get into doing anything too crazy so these are just me getting in some hobby.  So just what the heck are these figures?

Starting in the back row, these are all Core Space minis from the base game; two Purge Harvesters flanking one of the civilians from the game.  Fun to paint but a little tricky as well.  I'm used to harder detail than these figures have on them but at the end of the day I'm happy with them.  I have more Harvesters that are in progress, I just decided to branch out for a bit instead of trying to power through them all as a unit.

In the second row from the left we have a Heroclix witch mini that I repainted.  The original mini is completely dressed in purple but from what little detail the figure has, it looks like the skirt and top are separate.  With that in mind, I hopped onto Google and searched for sweater and skirt combos, looked at some of the combos that popped up, and went with the colors I liked.  Not the way that I usually pick paint schemes but since this figure just looks like you average everyday person, it just seemed to make sense.

Next to her is Jyn Odan from Imperial Assault.  I've had her set aside since I painted up Biv Bodhrik for my GoA privateer force but wasn't really sure what to use her for.  At this point, I'm thinking she might become part of a custom Core Space trader crew but we'll have to see who else I can get to go along with her.

Then we have a really old Rogue Trader era astropath miniature.  I have the taller astropath as well, but I've been stumped on a good color for this diminutive fellow until this weekend.  I just recently finished listing to Skype of C'thulhu playing Heir to Carcosa so I just had to paint this guy up in yellow robes.

At the far end of the second row is Rin Farrah from Relic Knights.  I'm honestly not sure how I got this mini.  I had backed the 1st edition Kickstarter ages ago but got a refund after months of delays.  I think it was some time after that when Rin showed up from CMON.  This was a really tricky figure to put together just because she is so fricking delicate!  A total of four pieces go into her mini (head plus hair, body, left arm, and massive sniper rifle), and the barrel of the rifle is incredibly flimsy.  Just look at it wrong and it bends so I've been really hesitant to even assemble her.  In the end she went together easily enough but I've already had the barrel literally bend in half when she slipped while I was painting her.  I might try to replace it with a really thin brass tube to make it more durable but we'll have to see.

The last two figures in the front row are more Heroclix.  The guy in the trench coat I had picked up years ago for Betrayal to be the crazy old man but never painted him.  I will probably dirty him up at some point but for now he is good to fill in for one of the occupants of the house, or a character in Fear and Faith.  The final figure is a Pepper Potts mini I picked up for Betrayal or as a civilian in Mars Attacks.  I actually just repainted her in the same colors as the original figure but was able to give the figure a little more depth with some shade so it works.

Overall not a bad start and it was fun to put a brush to some figures that are just random; no unit colors, no set paint schemes, just paint whatever I felt like.  I've even ordered some more Heroclix to give me some more options for regular folk in Fear and Faith, and I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do with them as well.  Until next time...

No comments: