DriveThruRPG.com

Saturday, August 28, 2021

Terrain Review: Kaldstrom Scenery Expansion Pack

I did a review of the first pack, so I might as well do the second one as well, right?  The Kaldstrom Scenery Expansion Pack adds onto the terrain that comes in the base pack... makes sense given the name.  Unlike that set, this one comes with some different options which I think make it worth taking a look at.


As with the base pack, the expansion also comes with two of the smaller buildings done in the same format; double sided to give you options but these ones are a little bit taller.  They do have a similar footprint to the small buildings from the base pack but I do like the varying height.


And that is the point that the similarities between the two packs ends.  Instead of the two large buildings, the expansion give you one extra large building that can be set up either with a roof or as an open topped building with a walkway.  Unlike the other terrain, the fit on this one is looser so it might be something that I try converting back and forth as needed, depending on how snug the walkway makes things.  Even so, I really like that it adds a third building foot print to the mix, giving you even more variety.


Next up are the stairs and bridges.  These pieces are designed to clip right over the ledge on the top of the buildings but they don't have a specific location that they connect to which continues the trend these sets have of giving you some flexibility in their set up.  The bridges also come with pieces that go on the end so you can also use them as stand alone features.  Got a small river or chasm you need to cross?  Instant foot bridge!  As with the buildings, all of these are very sturdy in both material and construction which is great.


Unlike the base set, this one comes with almost no scatter terrain.  In fact, there is only one piece, a console of some kind, but combined with the other set I don't really see that as much of a detriment since that one comes with so much.


Finally there is the elephant towering over the room, by which I am literally referring to the tower.  I like this piece since it really adds a new dimension to the field.  It also has a staircase that gives you access to the top so you could even do some kind of running battle up the stairs if you wanted, as long as you don't mind going in single file.


As you can see, combining the two sets makes a board with a pretty good amount of cover.  If anything it might be a little cluttered for my 2' x 3' board but you get the idea at the very least.  As for the appearance, I like the aesthetic of the whole thing, and the two sets give a nice variety of structures as well.  Now all of this sounds great, but once again there were some issues.  The instructions are just as vague with this set, and though the pieces were very similar, it seemed like they were harder to get together this time.  On top of that, some of the pieces are really, really loose, to the point that they fall apart when you pick them up.  This is easy to fix by just hitting them with some glue, it just seemed kind of odd since the other set went together so well.

Even with these minor gripes, I'm happy with this purchase.  These two sets give me a bunch of sci-fi themed building that I can throw down and pick up really fast, and the printed designs mean that I can easily transport them since there are no fiddly bits to snag and break off.  And you can expect to see these two sets again soon.  I head back out into the field next week and these are coming with me in my hobby kit, not to mention about half a dozen single player board games that I've added to my collection, but more on those later.  Until next time...

No comments: