DriveThruRPG.com

Saturday, September 17, 2011

As Above So Below

Welcome to London Below

I recently had a chance to watch a BBC television series called Neverwhere. Released in 1996 the story was created by Neil Gaimen and has also been released as a comic series and a novel as all under the same name. The story in the television series opens with Richard Mayhew heading to dinner with his fiancee Jessica when they come across a young woman who lying on the ground and bleeding. Richard feels that he must help her and much to Jessica's annoyance he picks the girl up to take her to the hospital. The girl regains consciousness long enough to ask Richard not to take take her to the hospital so he takes her to his house instead and thus begins his fall from London Above to London Below.

Personally I really enjoy these kinds of alternate reality shows and movies so I really enjoyed Neverwhere. I can really see either pulling the whole setting or even just parts of it into some kind of modern horror setting like World of Darkness though there already is a Neverwhere RPG out there and you can't beat the price; free. Just head on over to RPGNow.com and you can find both the original version of the game and also the third edition as well. I haven't had a chance to take a look at either edition so I'm not sure how good they are but I definitely plan on checking both of them out.

As for the television series, I really enjoyed it but it is an English series and some people might have a hard time getting into it.  Must admit that I don't know why it is but there's just something about English shows that some people just don't enjoy.  Kind of like anime, ya know?  Even so I definitely recommend at least giving it a shot as it is an interesting story.  Until next time...

No comments: