DriveThruRPG.com

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Now This Is Pod Racing!

Just like most people, I'm not a big fan of the "first three" Star Wars Movies.  Then again, there was one good thing that came out of them; pod racing!  The Munchkin and I used to play LEGO Star Wars a lot and one of our favorite parts was the podracing from Episode 1.  Unfortunately there is only the one Tatooine race track so after a dozen or so times it gets a little repetitive.  If only there was a way to do more with it...

Fast forward to a week or so ago...

I was checking out the Song of Blades and Heroes campaigns on the WeeBlokes blog when I stumbled upon... pod racing!  In this case, it was a game the Spin-Out rules from the Armchair General (well isn't this post just full of link-tastic goodness?).  After printing them up and giving them a quick read, it was off to eBay to see what pod racers I could find.  For those who might not know, Micro-Machines produced several different packs of these so there are lots of options to choose from, making the real challenge finding one that's cheap.  In my case, I was able to find a set of seven used racers selling for a whooping $10 which I was quick to snatch up.

As they come out of the box, the pod racers have a black base with wheels attached to them.  You can leave these on if you want but I liked the look of the racers that were popped off and mounted on actual bases.  arabianknight (author of the Weeblokes blog) suggests mounting them on 60mm round bases but lacking these I decided to go with some old 50mm Warmachine bases I had lying around.  A quick pinning job and voila; pod racers!


Of course you can also go as crazy as you want with these as far as paint jobs but in this case I'm just looking for a fun, fast game so other than touching up the bases I figure I'll just leave these as they are.  Might change my mind once we get a game or two under my belt but for now these are good enough for me.

We haven't been able to get it to the table yet but I hoping that we can give it a try soon and once we do I'll be sure to pass on how it plays.  Until next time...

1 comment:

MIK said...

Looking forward to the first Mos Espa Open!